Pages

Monday, March 31, 2014

Kumquats Exist

No comments:
 
So what have I done for the past few days? SHOPPING!

A few things to know when shopping:
  • Most stores do not give you bags. Bring your own fabric bag!
  • Many places do not take visa, as Japan is quite cash based.
  • Be prepared to be frustrated, it's all trial and error.
  • There are such things as kumquats which are tiny delicious oranges (Kinkan.)
So, I went grocery shopping (In Beppu-shi) so I can make dinner. There is no meal plan here, so I should start to cook on my own I guess. I wrote down recipes for some dishes such as Okonomiyaki, oyakudon, tonkatsu and others. Shopping was frustrating since I can't read kanji well enough to know what most things are. So, I just sorta experimented. 

That adventure ended with me getting octopus, kumquats (cute tiny oranges), and clams. 



Of course I also bought other things I need for every day, like flour, salt, butter, pork chops and pancake mix. So I will be all set with food for a little while.

I am not a good cook, but I will be sure to post up anything I make, even if I fail because that's funny to read no?


On Sunday we went into Oita prefecture city, so the big city. There are so many open malls and stores. This was a more fun shopping tour, so I bought some books, a CD and stamps! The average temperature here seems to be about 65, sometimes colder if there is wind. We are on a mountain, there are mountains everywhere, it can get pretty windy at times.




No comments: