Pages

Monday, September 29, 2014

Tokyo Day 2 AKIHABARA

No comments:
 
Today I decided to go to Akihabara. It's known for it's electronics stores (some which are rather sketchy), games for cheap or the top of the line games, and anime/manga. Out of the station I got a little turned around and had difficulty finding the main shopping street.


Akiba, for short, was probably my least favorite place on this trip. If you are really into games, anime and pop culture, you'll love it! Oh, and you should probably be a guy. If you are on a family trip to Japan with little kids, also do not go here. It's not a place for kids, nor girls by themselves.

There were many foreigners here, including myself. But the male to female ratio was astounding. Sometimes I had to search for females who weren't working in a cafe. Japan is very safe and I was never hassled. It was still very unsettling and not my idea of fun.


If you are looking for that retro game you've been dying to get your hands on, or the latest Final Fantasy 45 (or whatever number they are on) then you will find it here. Need a figure of your favorite character? Also here. Want your favorite anime character made into an adorable cake served by cat girl maids? Also here.


**My word of advice. Please, keep this in mind:**

The bottom floors of shops are open and mostly rated G. (Japan's G rating for anime is sometimes astounding to me) but as you go up, it gets older, older, older, and they don't stop you, or your kids. (There sometimes won't be warning, gotta look around.)

It is completely possible to bring kids, just keep an eye on them, don't be alarmed at the trash on the street and stop when you get to the third floor.

For girls, especially foreigners, do not wear skirts or dresses or shorts. If you do, be aware of escalators and 'up skirting' with phones. Walk in groups or bring a guy friend with you.




After the rather interesting trip to Akiba, I came back to Asakusa to explore more. It started down pouring after being cool and cloudy all day. I was able to sort of remember things from 5 years ago, although we stayed shortly and were very rushed.

The golden building and cloud is the Asahi beer factory! The large tower is the Skytree
The Denny's I ate at 5 years ago! (Right across from my hostel.)

No comments: