Pages

Sunday, September 28, 2014

Tokyo Day 1 ASAKUSA

No comments:
 
From Osaka, I took a bus to Tokyo. It was an experience, but also very cheap! It's an overnight bus that left around eleven at night and arrived at six. The arrival time was perfect because it was before rush hour and therefore I could sit on the metro which was a little confusing at first, but if you follow the crowd off the bus, chances are they are going to the train station too. Then the subway maps are color coded.

I took Willerbus, which has really cheap bus rides. There are many buses to choose from. The big thing I like is that only women sit next to women! (If you are alone.) Married couples of course sit next to each other, but only women will sit with women. This bus was about 25USD and put me right at Shinjuku station.

From there I went straight to Asakusa. I couldn't check into my hostel at first so I put everything in a station locker (which are very convenient and safe) then I went around Asakusa. I was a little tired and in need of a shower sort of. It was early, about eight am when I got there.

Many would call Asakusa "Old Tokyo" because the look and feel of Asakusa is old. I felt comfortable there, as it was easy enough to figure out and small enough to walk around pleasantly.

Sensoji Temple
 Right off the station I walked past a quiet Sensoji Temple. Last time I came to Japan five years ago, this temple was under construction so I couldn't see the front of the main building. There were many people there last time. But this time it was quiet (as it was very early) so the shops leading from this gate to the main building were all closed.

Second gate

So that's what the main building looks like!

Main building close up
 There was also a small park to the left of the temple which was a short cut to my hostel (I figured that out after walking the long way and realizing it was a giant square).

After some breakfast and more wandering around, I found my hostel and checked in. I went back to get my luggage from the station and was finally able to take a shower and comfortably walk around.

Some magical reflective building

Never too far from home
 I decided to check out KappaBashi, which was only a few streets back from my hostel. KappaBashi is a street that is known for it's many kitchen stores! Aside from funky kitchen things, takoyaki machines, cookie cutters of every shape and kitty cat spatulas, it is known for plastic food! Every Japanese restaurant has plastic food on display that looks good enough to eat! (I was unable to take pictures inside the small stores, as the cashiers were staring at me the whole time.)


This is a Kappa
 A Kappa is a turtle like thing in Japanese legends. It's favorite food is cucumbers! The street wasn't named after a Kappa on purpose, but later adopted the Kappa as it's mascot because why not. This is Japan.

Because Japan
 After some browsing, didn't buy much because this was day one. I came back to my hostel to find there was a somen party! Free food! Somen is a very thin noodle. (Udon being the thickest, then soba, ramen, then somen is the thinest). Typically eaten cold therefore a popular summer food. To have more fun and difficulty they put it down a slide made of bamboo. A hose was set up at the top and a trashcan held the water. You catch it with chop sticks and dip it in soyu (sorta like soy sauce, more watered down). Sometimes they put down mini tomatoes, tiny fish and cheese!

There was a filming here during this party and I made Japanese Tv. It cannot be put on youtube nor can I download it. I'll try to find a way to get a hold of it, but those not in Japan cannot view it right now.


No comments: