Pages

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Tokyo Day 3 SHINJUKU, SHIBUYA, HARAJUKU

No comments:
 
Today was the day of getting lost. I got so lost, so often that I started thinking: "Well, it could be worse. At least I am in the right country."

I went to Shinjuku, Harauku and Shibuya today.

Shinjuku and Shibuya has the famed, terribly busy crossing that we think of when we see Tokyo. It's used in movies, almost as a symbol of Tokyo. In my whole time in Japan, the most homeless people I ever saw was here, and there were two. (Or maybe they were just passed out drunk, I don't know.)


Yes I walked in it, but no, I didn't stay for long. I took this from the window (you can see the X shadows from the window) from the station.
Shinjuku station is also famous for Hachiko (the dog who waited at the station every day for his owner even after he passed away). It's the number 1 meet up spot in Japan. (And of course it took me forever to find the damn exit)


After getting lost, and more lost, and so very lost. I ended up taking a train to Harajuku to see Takeshitadori which is a street known for shopping, crazy clothes, music and youth. Many people cosplay here, dressing as their favorite anime character. The latest trends are said to come out of this street, but sometimes the fashion seems a little too wild. (Or maybe I am being old.)

Takeshita Street

Half of them are foreigners

A typical storefront

You crazy kids (and the foreigner taking a photo with you)
The fun didn't stop there. After I was done with the crazy crowded youth, I went to Meiji shrine. It was hot. I mean, really hot. The sky was blue, but it was so bright that it looks bright white. My sunglasses were not enough. The walk is beautiful and rather long. It was high noon so not much shade.


THAT IS ALL SAKE
BEAUTIFUL SAKE
Less crowded and so beautiful
I did a loop around the shrine, out the back, went back through Takeshita street the back way, then went across the street to Yayogi Park. I didn't stay long because there were many mosquitoes and it was getting late afternoon. It's a beautiful active park, filled with joggers, kids playing catch, or the occasional students doing homework.

Oh. And these rockabilly groups who, despite the painful heat and humidity, still danced for us foreigners.


I had maps, I had train tickets, I prepared everything, but still got lost. I constantly got turned around and spent a lot of time wandering. I was able to do all of these in a day, but it was definitely tiring. I came back a little early to shower, get dinner at a small restaurant and went to bed early.

Why early?

Because tomorrow...

DISNEY LAND!

No comments: