Pages

Sunday, December 28, 2014

Petting Deer in Nara

No comments:
 

Nara


For whatever reason Nara has a lot of deer running around. They want cookies, but I didn't buy them cookies this time. I just patted some of them that didn't look mean. Like this one. They aren't scared of people and will come and say hello (I want food).

Nara is a good day trip from Kyoto if you are up for walking around. It's about a 860 for one way, so a little expensive for me as a budget traveler. It's not too difficult to get there but I do suggest you know the kanji for Nara and your transfer stop (mine happened to be Tofukuji). Even still, there is always someone who speaks English somewhere around.

In Nara there isn't just deer, there is Todaiji, a massive complex with a large statue Buddha inside. There is also a large golden one as well. Although Todaiji might not be as decorated as Kinkakuji (golden pavilion), it is just stunning. The wood is old and it's age shows. Pictures can't show just how massive this building is. It's truly stunning. 
























I walked back along the park road, passing many deer as I went. I picked up street food. Half of a massive baked sweet potato. I love the sweet potato here. It isn't pink on the inside like in America. More like a yam type thing, but sweet, hot and tasty! I passed through Kofukuji, a Buddhist temple. There were also deer there as well. Some tried to take my sweet potato. My potato.

The good thing about Nara is that it's a perfect day trip, even half a day if you aren't just strolling along. It was getting cold out and was cloudy all day, which made it feel rather late even though I finished up around three in the afternoon. From the JR Nara Station everything is just a walk away and it's not all that complicated to get to. There is an English map you can pick up with all the sight seeing spots. No buses needed, just walk!



No comments: