Pages

Saturday, December 27, 2014

Tofukuji and Fushimi Inari Taisha: Kyoto Day 3

No comments:
 

Tofukuji



To start my day I went to Tofukuji which is a zen temple with a beautiful garden area. It's tucked away by residential houses which makes it a beautiful walk out of the city. There are two sections of this temple, both require different entry. Both are 400 yen for a total of 800. I was a little surprised by that but it wasn't very expensive and was still interesting to see.





Fushimi Inari Taisha

Next I walked down the road about fifteen minutes to Fushimi Inari Taishia which is the the number one place to visit in Kyoto. I think maybe all of Japan as far as shrines/temples go. It's famous for it's thousands of bright red gates and the large foxes who are said to be messengers for Inari. It's a long, beautiful walk upstairs and it's totally free! 

























Gion

I then took the bus home that afternoon and walked aimlessly around Gion. The main roads are busy, full of tourists and locals all looking for places to eat, to go to bars and tea houses, but back a few streets were my hostel is, there are old Gion streets which are beautiful restaurants and shops and homes. 








No comments: