Pages

Monday, April 28, 2014

My (Real) Life in Japan Land

No comments:
 
This is not an exaggeration. This is what I went to the library today to do. I haven't even STARTED my actual homework. I have my cup of instant coffee, a 32 pack of instant Miso Soup and my 5 pack of Ramen.

1. Wince as the sun hits my eyes at 7:00am
2. Grumble as I go to the shower.
3. Realize I had more homework while in the shower.
4. Get ready for the day while rushing to finish homework.
5. Go to my solid 3 period (95 minute each) block of classes and try to look interested.
6. Sigh of relief when I am done.
7. Unwillingly go to the library to take a nap  do homework.
8. Walk home with plans to make a healthy, full meal.
9. Actually make instant something or other.
10. Go to study room (which is in dorms) because my floor is super loud.
11. Kanji, vocab, kanji, actual homework, kanji, more vocab, kanji, (Pause to cry), notes, kanji, vocab, then management accounting homework and macroeconomics homework.
12. Return to my room and get ready for bed.
13. Hope my floor can be quiet at midnight so I can sleep.
14. Repeat.

That pretty much sums of my real life. APU runs on a quarter system, with two semesters with two quarters per semester. Language classes are full semester. Some math courses are also a full semester.
I am taking a Japanese Language course which is four days week for the whole semester. Along with that, I am taking Management Accounting, Macroeconomics and Statistics. They are all boring lecture style courses, but the professors are nice, know what they are talking about and do their best to teach.

Students here are often disrespectful, as in, they talk during class non-stop. They also have no problem coming in half way through the class even though attendance is taken. Sit in front if you want to hear the professor. You will never find a quiet spot anywhere on campus, not even in the library. Get used to it.
NO ONE STICKS TO ONE SIDE OF THE HALLWAY/STREET AND THEY WALK SLOW. THEREFORE I LOOK LIKE THE RUSHED AMERICAN BECAUSE I WALK FASTER THAN NEGATIVE TWO KILOMETERS PER HOUR.

Also, no one holds the door here. At BSU we hold the door even for people fifteen feet away. Here, they don't hold the door even if you are right behind then. I just look super nice when I do that...

So, as a Japanese language learning student, expect to be placed in a lower class than you think. Prepare to not speak any English in class, nor be able to take/look at notes. Talking is a must, of course, but doesn't mean it's fun. YOU WILL GET DISCOURAGED AND YOU WILL BE PUSHED OUT OF YOUR COMFORT ZONE. You will. Simple as that.
But, despite that, I really love/hate my professor. He is very difficult since he talks native speed, no English (he can, but he doesn't) and calls on people at random. BUT, he cares about the students and uses effective methods for us to understand (even if we don't, sometimes).

In other news I got this rad ice cream that tastes wicked good. Vanilla and chocolate covered nuts in a waffle.




No comments: