Pages

Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Kyoto and Osaka Trip! (5th and Final)

No comments:
 
Last day was a visit to Kansai University, which is the school my home university is affiliated with. Due to not having the classes I needed, I did not go there. But, it's a beautiful campus in a lively area.

But, before that, I have a lovely walk up to Kiyomizudera for the 3rd time to find my phone that was lost there probably. No, I didn't actually find it... but it was nice to sit there in the morning hours when no one was there. I then walked back to my professor's hotel even before everyone was up.

We headed to the university and took a tour around the school. My campus has a student body of 5000, Kansai has 50,000. That's terrifying. The campus is huge and in a beautiful area!

The whole gang, Kansai and BSU!
We watched a Kendo performance as well. Kendo literally means, the way of the sword. The same Do as in Dojo. (Long o sounds in all). Kendo is what samurai practice. In sport, instead of a katana, a bamboo sword is used. It's like a very loud, very terrifying fencing. It's as much a female sport as it is a male sport and there really is no age to start or stop. It takes years to master, literally. You have to wait ten years between each rank.

These two students started at the age of 5. They are 20 now.
It was sad to say good bye to everyone. I want to thank my professor Dr. To for showing my friend and I around! He really went the extra mile to make sure I was safe at my hostel, felt welcome with the group and truly runs an amazing study tour. He is a professor who is for the students! One of us! One of us! So thank you Dr. To! My honorary professor because I've never taken a class with you before.

Selfie with Dr. To!

No comments: