Pages

Sunday, June 29, 2014

Life in Japanland (Japanese lesson!)

No comments:
 

Since quarter break, my life is back to that of a 大学生 (dai-gaku-sei) (college student). Which means it has been very boring. With nothing else to really blog about, I'll give you guys a Japanese lesson!

How about Kanji?

Some Kanji are more fun to write than others.

楽しい tanoshii is tanoshii to write. (FUN!) It looks like cute fireworks over a tree.

難しい muzukashii is muzukashii to write. (DIFFICULT!) It looks like something I don't want to write.

Calligraphy
 I posted this picture before, but this is also what you can do with kanji! I wrote the kanji for love. It's fun, beautiful and is much harder than it looks.

Other ways to write: 

カタカナ(Katakana): Used for foreign words! Such as place names. ボストン(Boston). Or, as I found out recently... it's also used as italics. Vice versa with hiragana

ひらがな(Hiragana): The basic alphabet. Kanji can be made from hiragana. Why not use all kanji? Well, hiragana is also used for verb tenses (such as -ed or -ing, in English). They are used for particles (at, in, the, in English) and for other words.

Pronunciation. 

Every syllable is said, basically.

A: Ah (as in the Bostonian way to say CAR).
I: E (as in, EEK!)
U: OO (as in, OOPS!)
E: Aye (as in, HEY!)
O: Oh (as in, Oh crap I left the oven on.)

Time to banish those words often mispronounced in America:

Sake (the alcoholic drink of Japan). This is NOT pronounced Saw-KEY. It's Saw-Kaye.
Karaoke is the same way. The e at the end is an AYE not an EE.


It seems intimidating. Grammatically, Japanese is not like English. But it is a fun and rewarding language to learn. It's a challenge, I won't lie, but if you are interested, please do your best to learn! You won't regret it!

No comments: