Pages

Friday, June 6, 2014

Kyoto and Osaka Trip! (Part 1...)

No comments:
 
Please note this trip will be divided into multiple parts, so please check daily for the next part!

Last minute I decided to go to Kyoto and Osaka to with my friend Jenny and Akane (who lives in Osaka). My honorary professor, Dr. To convinced me to go and I didn't once regret the trip! (He is honorary because I've never been able to take his class...) So, I bought the tickets two days before we were planning on leaving.

We took a massive ferry. 12 hours long, but an awesome experience. We stayed in a room full of futons on the ground with about 10 other women. Everyone is nice here, so you don't have to worry as much about losing stuff or getting stuff stolen.
I went from Beppu to Osaka, marked in black.
We arrived in Osaka on Saturday morning and met with Akane's parents. We then went to our first stop which was in Kyoto, not too far away, Byodo-in Temple. Might I also add that it got up to 40 degrees. (Over 90). Every day here was hot, humid and sunny. Not a cloud in the sky!


We then went for lunch in Uiji (where Byodo-in is located) along this really awesome road. It was beautiful, with local shops and restaurants. There were many tea shops, all hand ground teas. Too bad I don't really like matcha (green tea powder, very bitter). At the restaurant we went to I got coffee jelly which is still the #1 reason to go to Japan. Comes with ice cream and whipped cream.



Next we went to Kinkakuji (Golden Pavilion) which, as the same suggests, is gold! It is beautiful and the walk was nice because it was shaded. I was sweating awful buckets by now. I bought a good luck charm there, as well as some post cards. Most of the souvenirs I got were post cards because I can hang them on my wall.

No, I am not done yet. It's only around 2pm at this point and we decide to go to Kiyomizudera Temple next, which was the worst, yet best walk ever. It was about a half hour walk up the long road of shops and restaurants. The road was a huge hill the whole time. There were sweets shops, fans, yukata (summer kimono) and many other shops.

About Half way



This temple was my favorite because the view was amazing from the top. It was nice and breezy up there, but still hot. Since we got there a little late, not all the parts were open, but all the good parts were.


The large bowl makes a beautiful ringing noise when hit (above the white marked places) and while it rings you pray.

The fountain (the other small picture) is where you wash your hands then drink. First wash your left hand, then right, then drink. It's sacred water said to clense you. There are small ones at all temples, this was just big and fancy.

No, I am STILL not done yet. After that, we went home to Akane's house. Her mother, Jenny, Akane and I went to the public bath house. Chances are, the first question you ask will have a yes answer. It is separated by guys and girls of course.

We went to the restaurant there first, then to the baths. There was a sand rub and sauna, as well as a carbonated bath. In total there were at least 15 baths. All different temperature. There were TVs, playing Iron Man in Japanese. The best ending to a fun day.

Then finally. We went to sleep.

That was day one.




No comments: