Pages

Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Sendai. This is why I am Studying Abroad.

No comments:
 
Sendai

Back in 2009 I came to Sendai and Shichigahama for a school trip. The trip was ten days and we stayed with a host family. Everyone else stayed in Shichigahama but my family was in Sendai which isn't too far. I have a lovely host mother, a host brother and a host sister.

I knew no Japanese back then, no simple phrases, nothing. I knew absolutely nothing. My host sister knew English but my host mother does not. Yet still, we communicated and enjoyed that week together. I knew I wanted to go back the moment I left Japan and I was sure to always talk to my host family.

But...

In March of 2011, a devastating tsunami destroyed Sendai, flooded it, knocked down buildings and disrupted the lives so a whole city. So many lives were lost and it seemed there wasn't enough aid to go around. To put simply, without any better words, I was also devastated.

Thankfully I got word that my host family was okay, physically speaking. I was encouraged more to learn the language so that I could talk to my host mother. I learned my host sister went to France to marry her fiance. That meant if I visit again, I won't be able to speak English.

Now... how many years ago was that? 5 years. I took Japanese classes, I took my regular college courses, I applied for study abroad, came to Japan and now... I took a bus from Tokyo to Sendai.


I stayed for a weekend and in that weekend we visited a lovely onsen. Even in the heat of the summer, onsen are wonderful to go in. We got a room for the day as well and had lunch.




After that we visited a temple with a beautiful view. The waterfall was huge and beautiful! Sendai and Miyagi prefecture is definitely a beautiful area. Though the best part was that it wasn't nearly as hot as Tokyo was because it's further north.


The rest of the weekend was also spent pleasantly. One of the days we took a drive to Shichigahama. I did not take pictures of this. Maybe, I thought that the differences were best left to memory. The town was... different. It was like walking in a different place. The community center we went to every day was still there. But the view from the back was different. It was flat. The acres of trees were gone and the coast line was wider.

Plymouth and Shichigahama
 Plymouth and Shichigahama are sister cities. We send students there, they send students here. I was so very thankful to go on that trip. I really hope to one day work in this program to see that it always continues.

Community Office/Center
There was lots of temporary housing still. Maybe I was expecting things to be back to the way they were, but they were not. Yet still, I saw students coming back from school activities, or young children with their parents at the playground. Some people were having BBQ at the beach.

This also marks the high light of my study abroad. I had fun in Tokyo and traveling the JR. I had fun going to classes at APU for my first semester. I enjoyed Osaka on QB, I enjoyed eating Japanese food, I enjoyed it all, but this... is why I came to Japan.

I promised I would visit again when I came back to Japan.
Well, I came back to Japan, and I visited.

This is why I am studying abroad.


No comments: